- Help Center
- Store administration
- Recover your admin password
Recover your admin password
Updated on April 5th, 2023
You have lost the password allowing you to access the back office of your PrestaShop shop.
To recover it, the techniques depend on your situation:
- you still have access to your emails and to the connection interface: just click on "forgotten password", and you will receive an email inviting you to reset your password.
- you don't have access to your email address: you can intervene on your database to enter a new email address.
- you do not have access to the login interface: you will have to connect to the FTP and work on your shop's database to create a new password.
Here is how to proceed in each of these situations.
1. Back office access and email address
Click on the link Forgotten password.
A new window will appear.
Enter your e-mail address.
You will receive an e-mail with a reset link that will allow us to create a new password to access your back office.
You do not have access to your e-mail address
- Connect to the PhpMyAdmin database
- From the ps_employee table select a row where id_profile = 1 (1 is SuperAdmin)
Edit the row where id_profile = 1
Edit the email
Change the record option to "Insert as a new row without overwriting the existing row
Click on execute
Go to the BackOffice login page, click on forgotten password
Reset your password from your email
No access to the back office
Here is how to do it in three steps:
- Find the encryption key
- Set a new password
- Apply this password to the database
Find the encryption key
The first step is to go and find in your shop files the encryption key that protects the passwords. Go to your FTP, then to the "config" folder and find the file "/config/setting.inc.php" (versions 1.6 of PrestaShop) or "/app/config/parameters.php" (versions 1.7 and 8 of PrestaShop).
The encryption key, here called "cookie key", appears as a sequence of numbers and letters. Copy and paste it into a simple text file.
💡Beware, this key is also used to secure the passwords of all the accounts created on your PrestaShop site, so it is very important not to change it in order not to disrupt the functioning of these passwords.
Define a new password
You can now choose a new password, preferably secure and generated by a password manager.
Still in your text file, you can copy this password after the cookie key, without any space between the two.
Apply the password to the database
For this step, connect to your database using a MySQL database management tool (such as phpMyAdmin)
One last step: enter the following query, adapting the capitalized elements to your data, especially your cookie key and your new password in the "passwd" field.
UPDATE `VOTREPREFIXE_employee` SET `passwd` = MD5('COOKIE-KEY+NOUVEAU-MOT-DE-PASSE') WHERE `VOTREPREFIXE_employee `.`email` = ‘ADRESSEMAILDEVOTRECOMPTEADMIN’;
You can now login to your back office with this new password!
The handling is too complex, who can help me?
You can contact us via the form at the bottom of the page, and our support team will offer you a solution.
What if I don't know which e-mail address I use as a login?
At the last step, in your database, you can edit the email present.