Discover the products section of the back-office
Updated on Wednesday, November 8, 2023
The product section of the back-office gives you a comprehensive overview of the status of your catalog. To make the most of it, follow the guide!
To access: Catalogue > Products
Understanding the dashboard
By clicking on the Catalog page > Products, you open a page listing your products, which you can sort by ID, image, name, reference, category, price, quantity and condition.
- ID This is the unique number that identifies the product in your store. This number is automatically assigned by PrestaShop when the product is created. So if two products have the same name, they will always have a different ID.
- Image: the visual representation of your product.
- Name: this is the name you have assigned to your product. It's important that the name is self-explanatory for your customer, but also that it includes keywords to help your store's ranking on search engines.
|💡 A product named "Dress" won't provide your customer with any information. On the other hand, a product named "Short floral dress" will be much more explicit and will introduce keywords for your SEO. Reference: this is the reference number you have assigned to your product. This reference appears on the product page of your site, as well as on the order form.|
- Category: this is the main category to which you've attached the product.
|💡 A product can be linked to several categories. If you sell jackets at jean, the product can be linked to both a "Jacket" and a "Jean" category. To find out more about categories, take a look at this article.|
- Amount HT: this is the price displayed excluding taxes.
- Amount TTC: this is the price displayed including VAT.
- Quantity: this is the current quantity of units for this product. Etat This indicates whether the product is activated or not.
- Actions: these are the options for modifying your product sheet.
How do you sort your products in the back office?
PrestaShop allows you to sort your products using multiple search terms. Here's how to sort your products using the different filters.
- ID to display your products by a range of identifiers defined by you. This feature is very useful when you have a large catalog.
- Name: to filter by customer name
- Reference: to filter by product reference
- Category: if your catalog contains many products and many categories or sub-categories, you can display only the products in the category you wish to work on.
- Price: you can search for a product by price range, indicating the minimum and maximum values required. This will enable you to display your products regardless of the categories in which they are found.
- Quantity: same principle as for prices, you can search by quantity, which will give you a quick overview of your stocks and enable you to anticipate your replenishments.
- Status: you can sort products that are active and therefore visible in your store, or inactive products that you have voluntarily deactivated.
Understanding advanced settings
At the top right of the product list, an action button, symbolized by a cogwheel, gives access to the following technical options:
- Export: to download the list of all products in the catalog as a CSV file.
- Import: redirects you to the Advanced Settings page > Import, from which you can import your catalog in CSV format.
- View query SQL: to retrieve the SQL query used to access the products in your database.
- Export to manager SQL : redirects you to the Advanced Settings page > Database, which opens the SQL de PrestaShopmanager, allowing you to browse your database.
How do I add a new product?
The back-office Catalog > Products page also allows you to create a product using the "New product" button in the top right-hand corner.