- Help Center
- FTP access
Updated on March 29th, 2023
A File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard protocol for sending or downloading files over a network. This is the system generally used to deposit the files of a PrestaShop store on the web server of the host and therefore make the website available.
What is FTP access?
- These are the credentials that allow you to access the files on the server that hosts your PrestaShop site.
- This access is composed of 4 parts: Host, Username, Password, Port.
- Be careful, connecting to your FTP and working on files requires certain technical skills.
How can you find this access information?
- When you open an offer with a host, the latter provides you with access.
- It is also possible to ask your hosting support for your access information or to generate new ones.
- On the server configuration panel, it is often possible to view, redefine or create new ones. The exact terms will vary depending on the host chosen.
- It is recommended to provide specific access rights to each participant on the server; this allows the removal of the rights easily after the end of the procedure.
- You will often need several different credentials to manage your PrestaShop store down to the last detail: FTP access, database access, backoffice access, etc. It is therefore preferable to keep this different access information stored in a password manager.
💡 With an Edition store, you don't have access to FTP files, and therefore there's no need to have the credentials.